Shaykh Al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah (May Allaah Bestows His mercy upon him) said in his writings explaining the situations of many people:
“It is much surprising to find a person who easily preserves himself from committing sins i.e. earning Money from Haram sources, being injust, stealing, drinking alcohol or to look at what is unlawful for him to look at, while he still finds it difficult to preserve his tongue. It happens to see someone who is known with his righteousness, all time worshipping and piety but he utters words that cause Allah’s wrath, while he is not aware of such consequences. You may see a person who preserves himself from approaching what leads to injustice or any filthy action yet his tongue is not stopping from back-biting live and dead people alike without even caring about it”.
1) It was stated that if someone asked to see Ibrahim Al-Nakh3iee, while he is at home, but he disliked to go outside to meet him, he would tell his servant: “Tell him to ask for me in the Masjid and do not say: I am not here, so that it does not count as a lie”.
2) Jubayr bin 3Abdullaah said: I saw a man approaching Wahb Bin Manbah saying to him: “There is someone who backbites you” so Ibn Wahbah replied: “Did not the shaytaan find anyone else but you to muck with and make him to look like a fool? Then it was just moments after that and the man came so he welcomed him and treated him kindly.
3) Hatim Bin Al-3Asim said: “If a respectable good man sits with you, you would be watching every word you utter so that you do not say something wrong. Yet, you know that your words are watched by Allaah but you still do not watch the words you utter!!!
4) Abu Hyyan Al-Tamimi narrated from his father saying: “I saw the daughter of Al-Rabe3e Bin Al-khaytham asking his permission to go and play so he replied to her: go and utter nothing but goodness.”
5) A man told 3Amr Bin Al-3Obaid : Al-Aswari still backbites you and mentions you with no good , so 3Amr replied: “You did not fulfill the trust of the man when he let you sit with him since you told us what he said furthermore, you did not fulfill my rights upon you when you told me what I dislike to hear about one of my brothers. However, advise him that death will happen to all of us, the grave will hold us inside and the judgment day will gather us and then Allaah will be the judge between us and he is, truly, the most just wise judge.
6) Al-Mmoafi Bin 3Umran once was asked: what do you say of a man who writes poetry? He replied: “it is his life so let him waste it if he wishes the way he likes!!!”
7) Ibn 3Abbas ( radi Allaahu a’nhuma) said: There is no word that son of Adam utters without being written, even the pain-humming he makes because of his sickness. So when Imam Ahmad was sick, he was told that Tawoos disliked pain humming of sickness so Imam Ahmad stopped doing so, although the pain was great.
8.) 3Umar Bin 3Abd Al-3Azeez once said: “whoever knows and realize that his words, he utters, are part of his deeds, He, surely will speak only with what concerns him”
9) 3Abdullaah Al-Khayar used to say when he sits with people : “O’ Allaah save us and protect us and save the believers from the evilness of our tongues”
10) Some of the Salaf used to say: “every hour which Son of Adam lived will be viewed and screened to him. And every hour he lived and did not mention or remembered Allaah in that hour, he will weep on himself for wasting such an hour”
11) Al-Hassan bin Bashar once said: “I observed my tongue for thirty years so that I never uttered a word that require me to apologize for”.
12) A man once told Al-Fadeel bin 3Eyaad: “A man backbited me” Al-fadeel replied: “He benefited you rather than harmed you” (He refers to the fact that he will take from the good deeds of the one who backbited him in judgment day as a result of this)
13) 3Abd Al-Rahman Bin Mahdi once said: “I dislike people to disobey Allaah otherwise I would have wished every one in this world to backbite me. There is no equal joy to find in your scale in the judgment day a deed you did not know about or even did”
14) A man once said to Bakr bin Muhammad: “I was told that you are talking about me behind my back”. Bakr replied: “If I did then you are more precious to me than myself”
15) 3Abdullaah Bin Muhammad once said: I was with Imam Ahmed Bin Hanbal when a man told him: O Abu 3Abdullaah, I have backbited you, please forgive me for what I did. So Imam Ahmed said: “You are forgiven if you do not do it again.” After he said that I said to him surprisingly: O Abu 3Abdullaah you simply forgave him for what he did!!! He replied to me: “did not you see conditioning my forgiveness by not doing it ever again!!”
16) Some people came to Ibn Sereen and said to him: we backbited you, so forgive us for what we did!! He replied: “I will never make lawful what Allaah made unlawful.” ( he indicates that they still need to repent and ask Allaah forgiveness while he forgiven them)
17) It was narrated that Al-Hassan was once told that a man has backbited you. He immediately sent that man who backbited him a plate full of dates and sent a message saying: I wanted to reward you for giving me more reward, yet please forgive me as I cannot thank you enough for what you did for me”
18) Some wise men was once asked: “what is the wisdom behind that at the time of the prophet sallAllaahu 3Alayhi wa sallam, the filthy smell of backbiting was easily distinguished while nowadays we cannot distinguish this filthy smell anymore!!! He replied: “It is because the filthy smell of backbiting filled our noses, nowadays, so that we know no other smell but that one. The example of this: A man who enters a shop of leather tanner who cannot the there because of the strong smell while the people who work there, eat, drink and they never even notice that smell because it fills their noses and got used to that smell, which is the same situation of us nowadays.
19) 3Abdullaah bin Al-Mubarak once said to Sufyan Al-Thawri : O 3Abdullaah, how amiazing that Abu Hanifah never backbites anyone so that he never even backbited an enemy of his. Sufyan replied: “He is more reasonable and smarter to let his tongue controlled with what erases his good deeds”
20) A man entered at 3Umar bin 4Abdul-4Azeez once and backbited another man. 3Umar bin 3abdul3Azeez said to this man: “If you wish we will investigate what you say so if we find you a liar then you are one of those who Allaah said about them
(interpretation) “O you who believe! If a Fasiq (liar — evil person) comes to you with any news, verify it, lest you should harm people in ignorance, and afterwards you become regretful for what you have done.” [soorah Al-Hujraat, v: 6]
and if you were honest and what you said is true, then you are one of those who Allaah said about them: (interpretation) “A slanderer, going about with calumnies.” [soorah Al-Qalam, v:11] or you can ask forgiveness. The man replied: I ask forgiveness and will never do it again.”
21) A man came to 3Abdullah bin 3Umar – at the time he was a ruler- and said to him: “I heard that someone mentioned me with bad behind my back in front of you.”.
3Abdullah bin 3Umar said: Yes, it happened. The man said: Let me know what eh said so that I defend myself and show you that what was said are lies.”
3Abdullah bin 3Umar said: “I dislike uttering evilness about myself by using my tongue. Yet, it is enough to know that I did not believe what was said and still joining the relationship between you and me.”
==================================================by Ibn Al-Qayyim -” Al-Jawaab aL-Al-Kafee Liman sala 3An Al-Dawa Al-shafi ( Aldaa Wa Al dawaa)” (Taken from Multaqaa Ahl-Al-Hadeeth