Messenger of Allaah sallAllaahu 3alayhi wa sallam was asked about fasting on the Day of 3Arafah. He said:
“It expiates for the sins of the previous year and of the coming year.”
Suggested program for 3Arafah:
1. Sleep early the night before to strengthen yourself for the special day.
2. Wake up well before Fajr for suhoor.
3. Make wudoo’, while consciously remembering that your sins are being washed away till the last drop of water. (1)
4. Pray at least 4 rak3aat of Qiyaam (2) and make du3aa’ for your deen & dunya & the Muslims in your sujood (3). Cry to Allaah, showing Him humility & ask Him to give you Tawfeeq on this great day.
Thank Him for making you of those who would experience this special occasion.
5. Spend some time (10-15 minutes at least) making Istighfaar before Fajr, to be like the righteous whom Allaah described as “seeking forgiveness before dawn.” (4)
6. Repeat after the Fajr adhaan & make du3aa’. (Accepted time of Du3aa’) (5)
7. Pray Fajr. Sit in your prayer place and do your morning Adhkar. Make Tasbeeh, Tahleel, Tahmeed, & Takbeer. And as the Prophet sallAllaahu 3Alayhi wa sallam advised.
Increase in لا إله إلا الله وحده لا شريك له ، له الملك ، وله الحمد ، وهو على كل شيء قدير
“la ilaha illallah, wahdahu la shareeka lahu, lahul mulk wa lahul hamd, wa huwa ala kulli shay’in qadeer.” (6)
8. 15 minutes after sunrise pray 2 rak3aat of shurooq. This all amounts to the reward of a complete Hajj & 3Umrah. So do not waste it! (7)
9. If you’re able to stay awake by all means, do so and do not waste a single minute. If you need to sleep, take a nap for an hour with the conscious intention of energizing yourself for the worship of Allaah, so that even your sleep will be rewarded!
10. When you wake up, make wudoo’ and pray at least 4 rakaat of Duhaa. (8)
11. Then recite lots of Qur’aan and make the dhikr mentioned above in breaks in between.
(Make dhikr after Dhuhr as you prepare food or as you do whatever responsibilities are absolutely necessary).
12. After 3Asr, say the evening adhkar. Then recite Qur’aan again till about an hour before Maghrib.
13. At that point, make LOTS of du3aa’ till Maghrib, while having Yaqeen (certainty) that Allaah will answer. (Preparing a du3aa’ list ahead of time helps!)
Beg that the day will not come to an end except that Allaah has forgiven you all your sins and written you of those He has freed from the Fire. Don’t forget du3aa’ for the Muslims suffering all over the world.
14. Remember as you break your fast that your du3aa’ at that moment is accepted.
May Allaah subhaanahu wa ta3aala grant us all Tawfeeq on that day. Aameen
References:(1) Narrated Abû Hurayrah radhiAllaahu 3anhu: Allaah’s Apostle sallAllaahu 3alayhi wa sallam said: “When a bondsman – a Muslim or a believer – washes his face (in course of ablution), every sin he contemplated with his eyes will be washed away from his face along with water, or with the last drop of water ; when he washes his hands, every sin they wrought will be effaced from his hands with the water, or with the last drop of water; and when he washes his feet, every sin towards which his feet have walked will be washed away with the water, or with the last drop of water, with the result that he comes out pure from all sins.” [Saheeh Muslim] (2) 100 verses written as (3) du3aa is accepted in sujood (4) “And in the hours before dawn they would ask forgiveness,” (Soorat Adh-Dhaariyaat, v:18) (5) The Messenger of Allah sallAllaahu 3alayhi wa sallam said: “Du3aa is not rejected between the adhan and iqamah, so engage in du’a (supplication).” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 212; Abu Dawood, 437; Ahmad, 12174. Classed as saheeh by al-Albani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 489). (6) Prophet sallAllaahu 3Alayhi wa Sallam said: “The best of du3aa’ is du3aa’ on the day of 3Arafah, and the best that I and the Prophets before me said is:لا إله إلا الله وحده لا شريك له ، له الملك ، وله الحمد ، وهو على كل شيء قدير‘ (7) Prophet sallAllaahu 3Alayhi wa Sallam said: “Whoever prays Fajr in congregation, then sits remembering Allaah until the sun rises, then prays two rak3aat, will have a reward like that of Hajj and 3Umrah, complete, complete, complete.” (Tirmidhi (586), from Anas ibn Maalik- classed as hasan was al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan at-Tirmidhi) (8) Allaah’s Messenger sallAllaahu 3Alayhi wa Sallam said: “Whoever prays two rak3aat of Duhaa will not be recorded as being among the heedless,and whoever prays four rak3aat (of Duhaa) will be recorded among the worshipers..” (Shaykh Al-Albani graded this hadeeth as Hasan in Saheeh At-Targheeb wat-Tarheeb)